Review: Obsidian

Title: Obisidian

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Lux #1

Genre: Romance, Paranormal, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Young Adult

Publisher: Entangled Teen

Publication Date: May 8, 2012

Pages: 361 Pages

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

   Starting over sucks.

   When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

   And then he opened his mouth.

   Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

   The hot alien living next door marks me.

   You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

   If I don't kill him first, that is
.

    Wow, I seriously didn't think I would like this one, but just WOW. To be honest, I didn't want to read this book because I'm not into paranormal books. I'm more of the contemporary romance type of gal. But then bloggers in twitter kept gushing about Daemon, so I felt compelled to read it. Little did I know that after reading the book, I would be one of those girls too.

   Katy is the new girl in the small town of West Virginia. Used to being a bystander all her life, she' determined not to be one this year. Then she meets Dee who lives next door, and they were quick to hit it off. They become instant best friends. Enter Daemon Black, Dee's twin and very hot guy-next-door. He's everything the opposite of Dee, kinda like the usual male protagonists in stories - infuriating, arrogant, condescending,  overbearing, but most important of all, drool-worthy.

   Sounds like a typical novel to you? Nuh-uh, don't be fooled. You're in for a ride, cause this is one of the most original stories I've ever come across with, what with Dee and Daemon being aliens and all. Yes, Daemon is the typical male protagonist, but that doesn't mean he's like the rest. He's caring, loyal, responsible, but only when he wants to. Now I completely understand what fellow bloggers were gushing about. Plus, Katy is a book blogger like us! Major plus points!

   The first part was intesting, but it was kind of slow for me, but at the second half of the novel, things got really good, and I was really amazed. I don;t know how to put the words together to describe how much I enjoyed this book, just that it got me out of my almost-three-week long reading slump.

   Amusing, entertaining and toe-curling, this is a must read for readers looking for something out of the norm.




“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.” 


“Why are you such an ass?" The words came out before I could think twice.
"Everyone has to excel at something, right?"
"Well, you're doing a great job.”  


“I've always found that the most beautiful people, truly beautiful inside and out, are the ones who are quietly unaware of their effect." His eyes searched mine intently, and for a moment we stood there toe to toe. "The ones who throw their beauty around, waste what they have? Their beauty is only passing. It's just a shell hiding nothing but shadows and emptiness.” 


“I don't think he meant to kiss me," I said finally.
"What? Did he slip and fall on your mouth? Those things are known to happen.”  


“Daemon: I checked out your blog.
Katy: Stalking me again, I see. Do I need to get a restraining order?
Daemon: In your dreams, Kitten. Oh wait, I'm already starring in those, aren't I?
Katy: Nightmares, Daemon. Nightmares.”

Labels: , , , , , ,